There are many ways to secure access, equipment or transport to prevent break-ins and theft. The padlock is an ideal solution to protect your goods and products. In this article, we present the different types of padlocks and how they work.
What is the purpose of a padlock?
Our security padlocks are specially designed for professional, industrial, educational and sports environments, or for locking lockers and cabinets. We offer a wide range of padlocks: with a single key, with different keys, with a pass key or even combination padlocks.
A security padlock is a very effective deterrent, consisting of a small, strong steel casing that protects fixed and mobile objects from theft and break-ins. For example, you can protect a bicycle, a locker, a chest, a piece of furniture, a door etc.
A quality padlock has components (shackle, body, lock, keys) with good mechanical strength. To find out how strong a padlock is, it is essential to see if it complies with the European standard EN 12320. Following several tests, this standard classifies the padlock in a security class up to 6. The higher the class, the more expensive the padlock.
What are the padlocks made of?
We offer security padlocks in various sizes (from 20mm to 60mm wide), with small or large shackles, ideal for attaching to any support. They are resistant to all conditions, both indoors and outdoors, thanks to their solid aluminium or brass body, stainless steel interior and case-hardened steel shackle, which prevents any attempt at breaking in.
Our security padlocks can be personalised with your logo, sequential number or other property markings for added security.
Which padlock should I choose?
There are 3 types of padlocks, so it can be difficult to choose the most suitable padlock for your needs and use.
- The padlock with different keys: It has a unique key for each lock, so it is impossible to unlock several locks with the same key. It is recommended for shared access with other people. However, it is possible to lose the key and thus prevent the lock from being opened.
- Identical keyed padlocks (keyed alike): one key can open all the padlocks in a batch because they have the same locks. The disadvantage is the loss of the key which can cause problems in opening the lock.
- Combination padlock: This padlock is opened by entering a sequence of numbers previously chosen with the help of knobs. This lock is the most practical because there is no risk of losing the key but it is also easy to forget a code. It is also recommended for shared management by giving the security code to other people.
All our burglar-proof padlocks are unbreakable and ensure security both indoors and outdoors thanks to their lightness and high resistance.
Take advantage of our low prices on our padlocks to secure your goods in your company.
What size padlock should I choose?
Once you have chosen a locking system, it is important to choose the ideal size of padlock so that it is easy to use and protects your property properly. A padlock that is too large can be awkward, and one that is too small can be difficult to install.
Here are the different dimensions to consider:
- the overall width of the padlock: The width may depend on the size of the space where the padlock will be affixed.
- the inside width of the shackle: The wider the shackle, the more space there will be to attach the padlock to the hanging bracket.
- the inner height of the shackle: Same as for the inner width.
- The thickness of the shackle: A thicker shackle provides greater resistance, but the thickness must be adapted to the size of the passage in which it will be inserted.
- The thickness of the lock: The greater the thickness, the more resistant the lock will be to break-in attempts.
How does a security padlock work?
A padlock consists of a body (rigid part) and a shackle (removable part). It is easy to use, just insert the shackle into a passageway and close it by inserting the shackle into the hole in the body of the padlock. Once the shackle is inserted, you must make a false code in the case of a combination padlock or remove the key from the body of the padlock in the case of a keyed one. In this way, this anti-theft system will be infallible to any attempt to remove it.
To open the padlock, simply do the opposite. For the combination padlock, you have to make the right code by turning the knobs so that the shackle can be removed from the lock, and for the key padlock, you just have to turn the key in the lock.
What to do if you lose your key or forget your code? Use a hacksaw to saw off the side of the locked shackle. Once it is cut, it will be easy to open the lock. Remember to buy a new lock before doing this to ensure the safety of your belongings.